Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law and Residential Real Estate by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Howard Bookstaff is the head of the multi-family practice at Hoover Slovacek. For over 25 years, he has focused on commercial and residential real estate, landlord/tenant law, condominium law and community association law. Mr. Bookstaff has been honored to serve as general counsel of the Houston Apartment Association since 1995, has authored amicus curia briefs and is actively involved in the apartment industry’s legislative efforts, both locally and in Austin. Additionally, he has assisted in the drafting of a number of Houston city ordinances as well as Texas state landlord/tenant laws.
Mr. Bookstaff is a frequent speaker at various landlord/tenant and fair housing seminars and he authors a monthly article in Abode, the Houston Apartment Association magazine. There he writes about a variety of topics of interest to the apartment industry.
Mr. Bookstaff serves a number of clients that own and manage a wide range of real estate concerns. His practice includes representation of clients in the purchase and sale of real estate and litigation matters ranging from premises liability cases in the district and appellate courts to evictions in the justice courts and administrative proceedings under the federal and state fair housing acts.
- Selected to the Super Lawyers®, 2011-2012, 2014-2016, Super Lawyers® is a registered trademark of Thompson Reuters
- Martindale-Hubbell rated AV® Preeminent™ – An AV® certification mark is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Justice of the Peace Courts Section, Chair
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Texas Inter-Faith Housing Corporation, General Counsel
- Houston Apartment Association, General Counsel, 1995
- Community Association Institute Legal Committee – Chairman, 1991
- American Bar Association Special Committee on Dispute Resolution Law Student Liaison, 1984
- Fair housing trainer, Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs, 2016
- Mediator, A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center, 1992
- Speaker, Landlord-Tenant Issues, Community Association Issues and Fair Housing Issues