Joe Slovacek has been with the firm since his graduation from the University of Houston Law School in 1976. For over 40 years, he has engaged in a general business practice encompassing real estate, corporate law and commercial litigation representing a variety of clients principally involved in all facets of real estate. A number of the clients he represents include brokers, developers, owners, lenders and property managers of multi-family, commercial, retail and industrial properties.
He presently serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP) and, since 1983, has been General Counsel of Houston Office Leasing Brokers Association, Inc. (HOLBA).
Mr. Slovacek is frequently a guest speaker at local seminars, including the “2010 Harris County Eminent Domain Conference” discussing current topics correlating to real estate law and complex commercial litigation issues, including condemnation issues, conflicts or lawsuits involving governmental or quasi-governmental agencies.
Mr. Slovacek is an exemplary civic leader, performing many roles over the years that have been beneficial to the community, serving positions such as Trustee to the Houston Realty Business Coalition since 2001 and member of the “C” Club PAC since 1989, PAC Treasurer for 18 years.
Mr. Slovacek was also recently appointed as a Commissioner by Lt. Governor Dan Patrick to the Texas Facilities Commission to fill a vacant seat.
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life-Fellow
- “AV” Rated – Martindale-Hubbell Attorney
- Selected to Super Lawyers®, 2011-2016, Super Lawyers® is a registered trademark of Thompson Reuters
- Named to Texas’ Best Lawyers list, published by Woodward White, Inc.
- Real Estate, 2006 – 2014, 2017
- Real Estate Litigation, 2012 – 2014, 2017
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES:
- Bunker Hill Village City Council, Member, Position 4, 1997 – 1999
- Chapelwood United Methodist Church, Member, 1976 – Present, Methodist Youth Counselor, 1967 – 1980, Member, Administrative Board, Charge Lay Leader, 1993 – 1994, Vice-Chairman, Administrative Board, 1994 – 1995, Chairman, Administrative Board, 1995 – 1996
- The Chapelwood Foundation, Member, Board of Directors
- Deer Park Educational Foundation, Charter Member
- Deer Park Independent School District Educational Foundation , “Felton F. Waggoner Hall of Honor” Inductee, March 2, 2002
- Grand Parkway Association, Director
- Incarnate Word Academy, Private Girls Catholic Academy Founded in 1872, Member, Board of Directors
- Lakeside Country Club, Member
- Limbs of Love, Inc., Member, Board of Directors, 1983 – 1998
- Memorial Village Police Department (includes cities of Bunker Hill Village, Piney Point and Hunters Creek Village), Deputy Commissioner representing Bunker Hill Village, 1997 – 1999
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), Member, Board of Directors, 1994 – Present, Chairman, Public Affairs Committee, 1996 – 1998
- State Bar Grievance Committee (6 years), Member
- The Houstonian, Member
- Coached various boys and girls basketball, baseball and softball teams since 1984, including West Houston Christian League, Chapelwood United Methodist Church 3rd Grade Girls Softball Team (1997), 4th Grade Girls Softball Team (1998) and 5th Grade Girls Softball Team (1999)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Texas Facilities Commission, Commissioner (2016)
- Texas Advisory Committee Member, U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (2015-present)
- Hoover Slovacek LLP, Executive Committee, Member, Chairman, 1984 – Present
- Houston Bar Association, 1996 – 1998, Member, Real Estate Section, Board of Directors
- Houston Building Owners and Managers Association, Inc. (BOMA), 1987 – Present, Member
- Houston Office Leasing Broker’s Association, Inc. (HOLBA), 1983 – Present, General Counsel
- Harris County – Houston Sports Authority, 2005 – 2008
- Board Member
- Finance Committee Chair, 2008
- Houston Realty Business Coalition (HRBC), Treasurer and Trustee, 2001-Present
- C Club of Houston, Member, 1989-Present, Treasurer, 1995-2013
- University of Houston, Bauer School of Business, Real Estate MBA Program
- Executive Committee Advisory Board
- Member, 2010 – Present
- Finance Committee Chair, 2010 – Present