Cynthia Pickett has over 36 years of litigation and transaction legal experience. Her primary transaction practice areas are oil and gas, real estate, manufacturing, private offerings, business mergers, acquisitions and dispositions (including due diligence, transaction financing and structure, documentation and oversight), choice of business entity structure, formation, and day-to-day operating, employment and asset purchase, sale and disposition contracts. In addition, Ms. Pickett has extensive litigation experience, including representation in contract, employment, trade secret and other disputes and torts involving: oil and gas, manufacturing, condemnation, real estate, commercial financing, corporations and partnerships, directors, officers, shareholders, members and partners, and agriculture products.
By segment, her transaction and litigation practice includes:
- Oil & Gas: Representation of upstream, midstream oil and gas and oilfield services companies in transactions; including working with client due diligence teams on mergers, acquisitions, negotiating and drafting documents and contracts for the merger, acquisition and development of oil and gas producing and nonproducing properties, and mineral and royalty interests and related closing and conveyancing documents. Pickett also handles pipeline and water supply agreements as well as master service contracts for upstream, midstream, and oilfield services businesses. She advises her oilfield clients on day-to-day operating issues, including employment-related issues and agreements, consulting and general contract relationships. She also advises, negotiates, and drafts upstream and downstream gathering, processing and marketing agreements. Ms. Pickett’s litigation experience in the energy arena includes the entire spectrum of oil and gas, including in disputes involving participation and joint operating agreements, leases, technology, trade secrets, breach of contract, mineral and royalty ownership, operators and non-operators, product failures, construction and environmental claims, and insurance coverage.
- Real Estate: Commercial financing, acquisition, sales, management, development, and construction contracts, surety bonds, and leasing contracts.
- Business Entities: Formation, structuring, and financing, officer, director, shareholder, member, employee, and partner relationships; copyrights and trade secrets.
- Financial Institutions/FDIC: Representation of financial institutions and the FDIC in work-outs, restructuring and collections of delinquent loans secured by real estate and various other types of collateral. This practice includes, lien and collateral preservation, modification, and restructuring of institution contracts, foreclosures, bankruptcy interventions, and deficiency work.
- Agriculture: Commercial seed production, sales and distribution agreements.
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent Rated- Martindale Hubbel Attorney
- Houston’s Top Lawyers by H Texas Magazine (2008-2016)
- Who’s Who in American Law (1989-1990)
- Cambridge Who’s Who (2007)
- Madison’s Who’s Who (2008-2009 Honors Edition)
- Staff, South Texas Law Journal
- Recipient, E. E. Townes Award for Scholastic Excellence
- Published, Texas Bar Journal (1980)
Boards and Clubs
- Co-Chair of the Houston Methodist Hospital – Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center Council (MDHVC.com), and Senior Cabinet Member, Houston Methodist Hospital President’s Leadership Council
- Director, Texan by Nature, founded in 2011 by Former First Lady Laura Bush (texanbynature.org)
- Co- Vice Chair, Lone Star Coastal Alliance founded in 2013 by John Nau (lonestarcoastal.org)
- Past Chair and current Board Member, Galveston Bay Foundation (galvbay.org)
- Director, Center for Excellence in Education, Vienna, Virginia (cee.org)
- Director, Stevenson Companion Animal Life-Care Center, The Texas Veterinary Medical Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A & M University (www.cvm.tamu.edu/petcare/)–1999-2004
- Member Institute for Energy Law of the Center for American and International Law- 2009-2010
- Member, Petroleum Club, Houston Yacht Club, and Houstonian Club
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association