Certified in Financial Forensics by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Curtis McCreight is an attorney and Certified Public Accountant who primarily practices in areas related to bankruptcy, commercial transactions, tax, forensic accounting and analysis, and commercial litigation.
Mr. McCreight works with small businesses chapter 11 and chapter 7 debtors to provide cost effective legal services aimed at securing a fresh start for the client. He also represents secured creditors guiding them through the bankruptcy process and protecting their interests at every turn. In addition, Mr. McCreight has worked with third party non-bankrupt clients in evaluating, analyzing and purchasing assets and entities through the bankruptcy process.
Mr. McCreight helps purchasers, sellers and secured lenders in developing and implementing innovative approaches to achieving their goals by structuring transactions to minimize tax consequences and maximize value. He also represents taxpayers in disputes with the IRS and other taxing authorities.
Mr. McCreight aids bankruptcy trustees and other clients by providing forensic accounting and analysis services to assist in the discovery, documentation, tracing and proving of ponzi schemes, fraudulent transfers, preferences and damage calculations. Mr. McCreight also aides and assists property owners’ associations and landlords with their specific bankruptcy related needs.
- Represented a small promotional products company and confirmed its Chapter 11 Plan;
- Protected the interest of a secured creditor in a single asset chapter 11 (hotel in San Antonio);
- Aided his client in the purchase of a California aircraft repair and maintenance facility out of bankruptcy;
- Represented a bankruptcy trustee in the uncovering, documentation, and establishment of a debtor’s and its related insider’s, fraudulent scheme and actions to denude a corporate debtor prior to bankruptcy which resulted in the recovery of substantial assets for the estate;
- Assisted a domestic oil and gas engineering company in its merger with an international, publicly traded, oil and gas service company;
- Represented a client in a complex dispute relating to entity classification for tax purposes;
- Resolved issues between the IRS and his client, an international importer, relating to audit adjustments resulting in several hundreds of thousands of dollars in reduced tax liability.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Houston Bar Association – Bankruptcy Section, Member
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, Member
- American Bar Institute, Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- American Association of Attorneys – CPAs, Member