Paul Van Slyke divided his time between commercial litigation, client counseling and transactions in the fields of intellectual property, regulatory compliance, entertainment law, Internet law and information technology law. In his 30 years of experience, he has tried jury trials in state and federal court, handled several appeals in federal courts and conducted arbitrations and mediations.
Mr. Van Slyke has first chair litigation experience in Lanham Act trademark infringement, anti-counterfeiting, copyright infringement, patent infringement, misappropriation of name and likeness and non-compete cases. He also has first chair litigation experience in trade secret misappropriation, non-compete cases and litigation under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, aw well as extensive experience in anti-counterfeiting and customs detention campaigns in the oil industry and luxury goods.
He has been lead trial counsel in trademark opposition and cancellation trials before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and in domain name arbitrations under the UDRP and court actions under the Anti-Cybersquatting—Consumer Protection Act.
Mr. Van Slyke has handled litigation in courts all over the United States, including Texas, New York, Delaware, California, Michigan, Arizona, Utah, Michigan, New Jersey, Illinois, Louisiana, Ohio, North Carolina, and Rhode Island.
He has served as lead counsel in privacy and data security, information technology and software transactions, and patent transactions. The industries for his clients have included food and beverage, cosmetics, luxury goods, apparel, consumer, retail, non-profit, energy, information technology, digital media and entertainment. He has extensive experience in domestic and foreign trademark prosecution, managing global trademark portfolios, preparing trademark license agreements and clearance of trademarks, labeling, promotions and advertising. For his labeling, promotions, sweepstakes and advertising practice, Mr. Van Slyke has experience with compliance with the regulations and guides of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Mr. Van Slyke was a partner in a highly regarded, international law firm and was the global head of its trademark, copyright and branding practice, and litigation. He gained IP experience as in-house counsel for a major oil company and served as Chair of the International Trademark Association Committees on both Anti-Counterfeiting Law and Right of Publicity Law. He also served as Chair of the American Bar Association Litigation Section Committee on Computer and eCommerce Litigation.
Incident to his pro bono practice, he has developed experience in Child Care Licensing law before the Texas Department of Family and Child Protective Services.
Mr. Van Slyke has been an Adjunct Professor of Law in Advertising and Marketing Law at the University of Houston Law School.
Mr. Van Slyke is listed in Best Lawyers in America © 2015 by Woodward White, Inc. for Intellectual Property Litigation, Trademark Law, and Copyright Law. He has a rating as a Leading National Trademark Practitioner by World Trademark Review a Globe Business Media Group service. He has an AV Preeminent rating of 5.0 of 5.0 for legal proficiency and ethics after lawyer peer review by Martindale Law Directory and is a Technology Panel Mediator of the CPR institute for Dispute Resolution and a Domain Name Arbitrator of the World Intellectual Property Organization.
Mr. Van Slyke is a frequent speaker and author on many legal topics including litigation, trademark law, data security and data breaches, FTC deceptive trade practices and telemarketing law.
- Listed in Best Lawyers®, 2015, 2017 Best Lawyers® is by Woodward White, Inc.
- Selected to the Super Lawyers®, 2015-2016, Super Lawyers® is a registered trademark of Thompson Reuters
- Martindale-Hubbell rated AV® Preeminent™ – An AV® certification mark is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association, Former President
- Houston Bar Association, Member, Entertainment and Sports Law Committee, Law and Media Committee
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Member, Private Advertising Litigation Committee, Consumer Protection Committee, Privacy and Data Protection Committee
- Eagle Scout, Member of Pack 641 Troop Committee
- Chapelwood United Methodist Church, Member, Youth Leader, Board Member
- Neuhaus Education Center, Board Member
- Texas Lawyers for Children, Member
- Former Coach of SBISD Football, Memorial Drive Presbyterian Softball