Our Oil & Gas practice has significant legal expertise in representing oil and gas exploration and production companies in litigation including bankruptcy, and transactions.
Our litigation experience in the energy arena includes the entire spectrum of oil and gas, including in disputes involving participation and joint operating agreements, leases, technology, trade secrets, breach of contract, mineral and royalty ownership, operators and non-operators, product failures, construction and environmental claims, and insurance coverage. Some of the specific cases we have handled in this area include:
- Representation of non-operating working interest owners in actions against operators (including state courts and bankruptcy courts);
- Representation of oil and gas companies in lease termination cases;
- Representation of oil and gas companies in disputes over offshore and onshore drilling and exploration operations;
- Representation of landowners in pipeline condemnation matters;
- Representation of operators in royalty and working interest accounting and other disputes;
- Representation of oil and gas companies in vendor contract disputes; and
- Defense of oil field equipment manufacturers in product liability actions involving oil field accidents.
Our firm also has significant experience in representing oil and gas exploration companies and oilfield services companies in transactions. Our transaction practice includes working with client due diligence teams on acquisitions, negotiating and drafting documents and contracts for the acquisition and development of oil and gas producing and non-producing properties, and mineral and royalty interests and related closing and conveyancing documents. We also handle pipeline and water supply agreements as well as master service contracts for all oilfield-related services. We advise our oilfield clients on day-to- day operating issues, including employment-related issues and agreements, consulting and general contract relationships, and insurance coverage. We advise, negotiate, and draft upstream and downstream facilities and associated contracts. Recently, we represented an oilfield technology and manufacturing company in the strategic acquisition of a significant manufacturing site.